2020-2021 Catalog


Transfer of Credit Policy

To earn a degree from IWU, undergraduate students must take the last 30 semester hours of course credit needed to fulfill degree requirements at IWU. Students pursuing transfer course options toward the end of their college career should seek assistance from Registration & Academic Services to ensure they are in compliance with this policy.

Credit is granted for work with a satisfactory grade (“C” or above), in a 100 level or higher course, taken at a college or university that is accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by both the U.S. Department of Education (ED) and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).  Currently this includes the following accrediting agencies:

  • Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
  • Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS)
  • Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE)
  • Association of Advanced Rabbinical and Talmudic Schools (AARTS)
  • Association of Theological Schools Commission on Accrediting (ATS)
  • Distance Education Accreditation Commission (DEAC)
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
  • Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
  • New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU)
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS-COC)
  • Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (WASC–ACCJC)
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges – Senior College and University Commission (WASC–SCUC)

Programmatic accreditation may impact transferability of specific courses into the major. If there is no applicable course at IWU or within the student’s major, the credits may be applied as elective credit.  Additionally, programmatic restrictions may determine how courses are equated.

Credit hours accepted in transfer are recorded as part of the student's official academic record. Once transcripts (and other test scores and academic documents) have been received, IWU is not permitted to release copies of those documents back to the student or any other party. All graded qualified coursework transferred and transcripted are used solely in the calculation of the honors GPA. Quarter credits are converted to semester credits using the two-thirds conversion ratio. The university registrar is responsible to approve the transferability of all credits.

Indiana Wesleyan University accepts official transcripts from the American Council on Education (ACE) located in Washington, D.C. ACE evaluates and provides credit recommendations for educational offerings for a significant number of corporate universities and other extra-institutional learning providers.

Credit through examination (CLEP, DSST, AP, institutional examinations) or assessed learning is not accepted in transfer from another institution's transcript. Credit through examination is awarded through Indiana Wesleyan University with official test scores from an official testing center. Credit from nontraditional learning by life experience is awarded through the IWU's assessed learning process.

Transcripts from international institutions - may need to be sent to an external agency for evaluation and determination of transferable credits, degrees, and GPA. If this external review is necessary, students are responsible for the initiation of this evaluation and for any fees incurred during the process. Applications for this service are available to the student through the university.




Indiana Weselayan