2013-2014 Catalog


Orientation, Registration and Credit Options

New Student Orientation

All entering undergraduate students are required to participate in New Student Orientation. This orientation is designed to acquaint students with the university programs and services available from the various offices.

Entrance Examinations

New students may be required to take academic placement examinations. These examinations are a part of new student registration and are used to determine the level at which a student shall enter a sequence of courses. Some majors require specific placement examinations. Students should inquire within their own area of study as to whether such examinations are required.

Registration Procedures for New and Returning Students

New Student Registration (NSR) occurs in the summer for fall enrollment and once in January for spring enrollment. Once new students are notified by the Admissions Office of their acceptance to Indiana Wesleyan University, the Registrar's Office will send information about registration procedures and the appropriate time to come to the campus for testing and advisement in the selection of courses and registration.

Returning students may register for the fall semester and summer sessions in the spring and summer. Registration for the spring semester and May term occurs in the fall. All students are expected to complete their registration during the time set by the director of records for advanced registration or at the specific time established for this purpose in the current calendar. Detailed instructions for registration will be provided on the wildcat portal at http://wildcat.indwes.edu/Registrar/Registration-Information. Arrangements for financial payment, in accord with one of the approved plans for university charges, must be made in advance or at the time of registration. All students must be registered by the first day of classes in any term.

Academic Advising - CAS and Pre-licensure Nursing

Every student is personally responsible to meet all requirements, including but not limited to stated competencies, grade-point indexes, specified courses, total numbers of credits in each stated area of study, and total number of credits for the degree program identified in the catalog at the time of enrollment.

A faculty advisor is assigned to each student, is available at registration periods for advisement on program requirements and is required to approve the student’s registration. Each student has access to their academic record and degree/major requirements via the Internet and portal.

Schedule Changes and Withdraws


The student’s choice of classes, once made and filed, is expected to be permanent. The last date to add a course shall be the Friday after the first day of classes for fall and spring terms. The last date to drop a course is the second Friday after the start of classes for the fall and spring terms. For students enrolled in the graduate counseling program, the last date to add or drop a course is the second Friday after the first day of the term.

For May term and Summer I (S1) and II (S2) sessions, the last date to add or drop a course is the second day of classes. For Summer Term (S1T) the last day to add a class is the end of the first week. The last day to drop a class for the Summer Term (S1T) is the end of the second week of classes. Any desired change in audit registrations follow the same deadlines as previously identified. All drop/add requests made thereafter require a General Academic Petition and approval from the course professor(s), the director of records, and Academic Affairs.

Withdrawing from Classes

Up until the tenth week of the semester (5/7 or 71% of semester classes), students may withdraw from a course with a grade of “W.” This should be done only after consultation with academic advisors, the Residential Academic Services office, and the Financial Aid Office, as reduction of course load below 12 credits may affect eligibility for athletics, scholarships, or financial aid. After the tenth week of the semester, students may not withdraw from classes without total withdrawal from the university.

Withdrawing from the University

A student desiring to voluntarily withdraw from all classes at the university must obtain a Total Withdrawal form available at the Residential Academic Services office and online at http://wildcat.indwes.edu/Registrar/Forms/. This form must be completed and filed with the Residential Academic Services office before the student leaves campus. No refunds will be made by the Student Account Services, CAS, until the director of records certifies that the withdrawal procedure has been completed. A student failing to complete proper withdrawal remains a student and will be charged as such and receive a grade at the end of the semester. Students in university housing who fail to check out of their rooms properly will be subject to an administrative charge. Failing work at time of official withdrawal after the tenth week of the semester may be counted as "F" in grade-point average.

Any student who is dismissed from the College of Arts and Sciences by Student Development will be administratively withdrawn from all classes.

Intent to Depart

Students who intend to depart from the university for the subsequent semester(s) should complete the Notification of Student Intent to Depart form. Students should inform the Residential Academic Services office by completing and filing this form available at: http://wildcat.indwes.edu/Registrar/Forms.

Leave of Absence

Full time degree seeking students may request a Leave of Absence (LOA) in certain circumstances to preserve their current catalog rights and possibly provide positive implications for financial obligations such as loan repayment, and health and car insurance.

Types of Leave of Absence:

  1. Medical Leave of Absence - LOA petition must be accompanied by a statement from a medical care provider verifying the need for the LOA.
  2. Personal Leave of Absence - petition must include a plan for addressing personal or family issues that lead to the successful completion of the student's academic program.
  3. Planned Educational Leave of Absence - petition must include plans for enriching educational goals that lead to the successful completion of the student's academic program. These plans can include participation in non IWU-supported study abroad experiences, no IWU-supported internships, or short term missions or service programs.

Leave of Absence petitions are available in the Residential Academic Services office and must be completed and approved before the "drop" deadline for the term in which the LOA is requested. Medical and certain unplanned for LOA requests may be considered retroactively or after the "drop" deadline based on the individual circumstances. LOA appeals must be filed and approved by the associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences before the end of the term for which the LOA is requested.

A Leave of Absence will not be approved for students who are subject to academic dismissal or student conduct dismissal.

Students who do not return to Indiana Wesleyan University by the end of their approved LOA will be considered to have withdrawn from IWU at the end of their last term of regular enrollment.

International students should work with the international student coordinator in the Admissions Office when contemplating a planned LOA as there are Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations regarding the status of international students.

In order to maintain catalog rights under the LOA petition, students must receive prior approval from the Residential Academic Services office for coursework taken at other institutions for transfer to IWU. Failure to do so could result in failure of the coursework to transfer, or loss of current catalog rights.

Students on LOA may not participate in or be registered for any IWU coursework during the LOA time period including incomplete courses, independent learning contracts, and online courses.

Student work positions, divisional stipends, and leadership positions are not guaranteed upon return and must be reapplied for.

It is unlikely that there will be any financial aid benefit for the student who takes LOA. All questions regarding financial aid must be discussed with the student's financial aid counselor.

Students should consult with Student Account Services, CAS and the Financial Aid Office to discuss any financial ramifications of a LOA.

Returning from a Leave of Absence:

A student may choose to return from a LOA earlier than planned but must return on the first day of classes for the semester. When students return from a LOA, either on time or early, they may request reinstatement through the Admissions Office by completing the re-enrollment form before the first day of new term. Students must notify the Residential Academic Services office of their intent to return before the end of the term previous to the expected date of return. Undergraduate students who are on Academic or Citizenship Probation status when they take a LOA will return with the same status.

Study Abroad students who use a LOA to attend unaffiliated programs should be aware that there is no guarantee of academic credit at IWU and must apply for such under transfer policy guidelines.

Credit Options

Classroom Study

The most common way to earn credit in the College of Arts and Sciences/School of Nursing is by registering in the semester programs of the university, attending classes under the instruction of a university professor, submitting the required work, and passing the required examinations.


The College of Arts and Sciences offers online course options for undergraduate students during May and Summer Sessions. Students should talk to their advisor and check the Schedule of Classes for those terms for details.


Students who have attended other accredited colleges or universities may transfer credit toward their education at IWU. Transcripts of all other university work must be submitted directly to the Indiana Wesleyan University Residential Academic Services office from the office of the registrar at the college or university previously attended. Transcripts delivered by hand or received from another party are not official and cannot be used for purposes of transfer work. The university registrar is responsible to approve the transferability of all credits.

To earn a degree from IWU, undergraduate students must take the last 30 semester hours of course credit needed to fulfill degree requirements at IWU. Students pursuing transfer course options toward the end of their college career should seek assistance from the Registrar's Office to ensure they are in compliance with this policy.

Credit is granted for work with a satisfactory grade (“C” or above), in a 100 level or higher course, taken at an approved college or university that are accredited by a regional accrediting body or the Association for Biblical Higher Education (formerly the Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges). If there is no applicable course at IWU or within the student's major, the credits may be applied as elective credit. Credit hours accepted in transfer are recorded, as part of the student's official academic record. All graded qualified coursework transferred and transcripted are used solely in the calculation of the honors GPA.

Credit taken by correspondence from a regionally accredited institution may be applied toward a degree at Indiana Wesleyan University, for a maximum of 12 semester hours accepted.

Credits from unaccredited schools, colleges and universities and from schools/colleges/universities not accredited by recognized accredited agencies–such as proprietary business schools, vocational/technical schools, or other single purpose institutions may be assessed individually for possible credit. The number of credits transferable from such institutions will be limited to two years (62 semester hours).

Credits earned from international institutions will be evaluated by Residential Academic Services given that the official transcripts are submitted and in English. However, should it be deemed necessary, an additional external evaluation by Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) may be required. For more information about this organization, please visit their website (https://www.ece.org/).

Credit through examination (CLEP/DANTES/Advanced Placement) may only be awarded with official test scores from an official testing center and an Indiana Wesleyan University individual assessment. The maximum number of credits awarded shall be limited to a total of 40 semester hours for the baccalaureate degrees and 18 semester hours for the associate degrees, and ordinarily will not be applied to upper-division requirements in the major (junior and senior levels). It is the responsibility of the student to obtain approval from the appropriate division for the application of credits to the majors.

Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate

Many high schools offer Advanced Placement (AP) courses to students. These are evaluated as subequivalent to university freshman-level courses and appropriate credit will be given for grades of 3 or above.

Incoming freshman who, prior to their enrollment at Indiana Wesleyan University, pass the AP Spanish Language Exam with a minimum score of 4 will receive credit for SPA-237 and SPA-238. Students who pass the AP Spanish Language Exam with a minimum score of 3 will be awarded credit for SPA-117 and SPA-118. AP credit for these courses will not meet intercultural competence.

Some high schools offer International Baccalaureate courses and programs. Credit may be awarded for successful completion of some courses through the International Baccalaureate programs. Scores of 5 or higher are required for such credit to be accepted. Credit may only be awarded with official scores and an IWU individual assessment.

Achievement Examinations

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the Proficiency Examination Program (PEP), and DANTES offer examinations of university-level achievement. CLEP examinations may be accepted for credit by the university upon admission and registration. Scores on selected examinations at a level of “C” or above will be acceptable for credit in appropriate areas. Examinations can be scheduled by The Center for Student Success after consulting with the director of records. A $25 per credit hour transcription fee will be assessed. Several CLEP examinations are recognized by the university for credit; however, the College of Arts and Sciences does not accept the College Composition CLEP test.

Assessment – Prior Learning/Portfolio

Credit from nontraditional learning by life experience may only be awarded with an Indiana Wesleyan University individual prior learning assessment. Credit will be determined through the assessment and approval process. Students with life experience education may have developed a body of information equivalent to university-level learning. This may be work experience, hours earned at nonaccredited institutions, or other nontranscripted learning. After a student has been admitted into a major and has accumulated at least 12 classroom credits, assessment of such learning may be attempted. A maximum of 40 hours may be awarded through the Prior Learning/Portfolio option. Guidelines and fees information is available in the Residential Academic Services office.

Independent Learning Contract

Occasionally, students may benefit from academic enrichment by Independent Learning. Such learning is generally intended for on campus course work in a subject not offered in the current schedule of classes. Independent Learning contracts are a privilege extended to degree-seeking junior and senior students. Undergraduate students who have earned a 3.0 cumulative GPA, have met the university writing competency requirement, have completed all course prerequisites, and have earned a minimum of 60 credit hours may apply for Independent Learning. Undergraduate students on Academic Probation may not participate in Independent Learning. Students who wish to take an Independent Learning course should work closely with the professor of the course and Residential Academic Services to complete the specific paperwork and comply with the following:

  • No more than six credit hours may be earned by Independent Learning during the student's academic career at IWU.
  • No more than one Independent Learning course may be taken per semester.
  • Courses with a 180 number may not be taken by Independent Learning.
  • A fee of $100 per credit hour will apply to all Independent Course work.
  • Students may not take an incomplete grade in an Independent Learning course.
  • Independent Learning may not be used to repeat a failed course.

All coursework is expected to be completed by the end of the semester in which the course is attempted. If medical or other extenuating circumstances arise that prevent a student from completing all coursework in that semester, a professor may, at his or her discretion, award a grade of "I" (incomplete). See full incomplete policy for additional information.


A student who has been accepted into an Indiana Wesleyan University degree program or as an unclassified student may choose to audit specified courses as follows:

  • Audit registration is allowed on a space available basis. Undergraduate students may not register under this category until after the first day of class and must have the approval of the class instructor.
  • The current audit fee per credit hour must accompany the registration.
  • Auditing a course gives one the right to attend the course. No credit or letter grade is given. The course will be indicated as an "AU" on the student's IWU transcript.
  • The student auditing the course is not expected to participate in classroom or study group assignment or to complete homework, quizzes, or tests.
  • The faculty for the course is under no obligation to grade any work an auditing student chooses to submit or to give feedback on progress.
  • The materials required for the course are optional for auditing students.
  • The student must meet course prerequisites or be approved by the appropriate administrator of the specific college/school.
  • No change may be made from audit to credit, or credit to audit after registration closes.
  • Forms for admission to audit classes are available in the Admissions Office.

Global Engagement and Service Learning

Indiana Wesleyan University undergraduate students are encouraged to participate in a variety of off-campus learning experiences in both international and domestic contexts. These Global Studies and Global Service Learning opportunities are facilitated by the Office of Global Engagement and Service Learning.

Graduate students interested in global study must have a 3.0 GPA or better and must be approved by application only. Graduate students must consult with the appropriate division chair for a determination of the maximum number of credits that may be earned through study abroad, as well as deadlines for application. 

Global Studies opportunities are approved credit-bearing courses that take place off campus in partial fulfillment of degree programs under the supervision of a faculty advisor. These opportunities include:

Travel Classes

  • Travel Classes are IWU faculty-led courses offered in off-campus settings.
  • Undergraduate students who wish to participate in a Travel Class must be in good standing with Student Development, have at least a 2.5 GPA, and successfully complete an application/interview/orientation process.
  • The cost for a Travel Class includes tuition and travel expenses, both of which must be paid in full prior to departure. Scholarships and financial aid may be applied to Travel Classes.
  • Travel Classes may be taken for credit or audit, and some fulfill the Intercultural Experience General Education requirement.

Semester Abroad Programs

International Internships, Student Teaching and Practicum Experiences

  • International internships, student teaching and practicum experiences are facilitated by the Office of Global Engagement and Service Learning in collaboration with academic schools.
  • Undergraduate students who wish to fulfill an internship, student teaching or practicum experience requirement in their major in another country must be in good standing with Student Development, maintain the minimum GPA requirement of their major and degree program, and successfully complete an application and orientation process.
  • The cost for international internships, student teaching and practicum experiences includes tuition, travel costs and living expenses. Some scholarships and financial aid may be applied to international internships, student teaching and practicum experiences. Students should meet with their financial aid counselor for details.
  • Some international internships, student teaching and practicum experiences may fulfill the Intercultural Experience General Education requirement.

Global Service Learning opportunities are structured learning experiences that take place off campus in partnership with a host organization and are focused primarily on service activities that address identified community needs. These opportunities may be included within Travel Classes and also include:

World Impact Global Service Teams

  • Undergraduate students who wish to participate on a World Impact Global Service Team must be in good standing with Student Development, have at least a 2.0 GPA, and successfully complete an application/interview/orientation process.
  • The travel expenses for World Impact Global Service Team trips vary depending on the region of the world to which teams travel. All travel expenses for the trip must be paid in full prior to departure. Contributions for World Impact Global Service Teams are tax-deductible and are receipted by the university accordingly. Scholarships may be available to students who participate on World Impact Global Service Teams.
  • World Impact Global Service Teams are not credit-bearing; however, some may fulfill the Intercultural Experience General Education requirement for some majors.

Cooperative Programs

Indiana Wesleyan University cooperates with various business, church, educational, and social agencies in the community and beyond to make special facilities available to enrich the programs offered to students.

Taylor University and Indiana Wesleyan University cooperate by allowing certain courses (a limit of one per fall or spring semester) to be available for full time students from both institutions. Although there is no extra charge for the courses in this exchange, the students are responsible for their own transportation between campuses and for payment of any fees beyond tuition. Students make take a total of four classes through this program. Please contact the Registrar's Office for details.

LeTourneau University and Indiana Wesleyan University participate in an articulation agreement guaranteeing that students who satisfactorily complete the stated requirements at IWU will be admitted as engineering students at LeTourneau University with academic credit for their IWU courses. For additional information see the School of Physical and Applied Sciences.

Center for Life Calling and Leadership (CLCL) and Career Services

The Center for Life Calling & Leadership (CLCL) enables individuals to find an overriding purpose for their lives, equips them to make life decisions based on this purpose, and empowers them to develop this purpose into world changing leadership. Through the CLCL, students are encouraged to explore the concept of vocation in the context of spirituality and faith, and to approach the idea of vocation through stewardship – much broader than just a job, position, or occupation. Vocation should be seen in the context of a life calling that produces confidence in an overriding purpose for one's life to bring about positive change in the world, and then living out one's life consistently with that purpose.

The CLCL directs various programs for students who have declared a major as well as students who are still exploring for a major (pre-declared). These programs help to facilitate the discovery of purpose and to integrate leadership development into this discovery process.

  • Pre-declared Community: Students coming to IWU as a part of the pre-declared program have an immediate support system in place that will facilitate their discovery of life calling, both curricular and co-curricular. The 3-credit freshman course, UNV-180LC, focuses on developing an understanding of the concept of life calling and the discovery of one's God-given design as a basis for this calling. Students evaluate their strengths, values, spiritual gifts, passions, abilities, personality, and experiences in order to develop a calling-based perspective in selecting a major and planning a vocational course of action.
  • Life Coaching for All Students: The Life Coaching program assists both declared and pre-declared students in discovering their unique, God-given design; developing a life plan; and equipping them with fundamental life skills for academic success, and future personal and professional development. Life Coaches meet with students one-on-one and in workshops, utilizing a positive approach with students as they look for solutions to future questions.
  • Career Development: The Career Development program provides strategies and innovative resources to help students develop the skill of lifelong purposeful career navigation. Students can meet with a Career Coach, enroll in a course, participate in internships, connect with a professional mentor, visit on-campus events hosted by the CLCL, and involve themselves in various stage-appropriate CLCL sponsored programs to develop a strengths-based plan for their lives.
  • Leadership Studies: CLCL faculty, teaching in the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences and Business, facilitate the Leadership Studies academic program which consists of a major and minor in Leadership.
Indiana Weselayan